EasyList

Ads on hulu.com are no longer blocked

written by MonztA, on Oct 24, 2012, 10:02:00 AM.

Problem:

Video ads on hulu.com show up before the actual video starts.

Affects:
  • hulu.com

• any other page where Hulu videos are embedded

Cause:

Hulu videos on external sites are embedded in a HTML frame (example: huffingtonpost.com). While the video ads on Hulu itself can still be blocked (a countdown shows up instead of a video ad), embedded videos on external sites will no longer play unless videa ads are allowed. This forced us to add specific whitelists for these ads.

Solution (Firefox only!):

Unfortunately, there is no way to block the ads on Hulu and allow them on external sites as the latter are embedded in a HTML frame. If you do not watch Hulu video on external sites, you can disable the whitelists and still watch videos on hulu.com without ads. Here is a step-by-step instruction how to disable them:

1. Click on the "ABP" icon in Firefox (it is most likely in the left corner at the bottom) and choose "Filter preferences...".

2. Click on this button on the right.

3. Click on the "Find" button that appeared on the top.

4. Type hulu.com/published and disable these two exception rules @@||hulu.com/published/*.flv and @@||hulu.com/published/*.mp4 by unticking them like shown in this screenshot.

5. Close the filter preferences window of Adblock Plus.

Comments

Comment by jôn — Nov 2, 2012, 2:11:25 PM | # - re

• So How is this done on Adblock plus for Chrome?

Comment by Kev — Nov 2, 2012, 2:32:00 PM | # - re

• Unfortunately, you cannot disable individual filters in the Chrome version.

Comment by MonztA — Nov 2, 2012, 3:01:34 PM | # - re

• nzb: zero commercial, lower cost alternative to BOTH hulu and dvr

^ for licensed TV

Comment by ben d rooles — Nov 3, 2012, 12:26:02 PM | # - re

• It works, but I get the 60 second countdown for each ad. When it would be 3 ads, I have to wait 3 minutes for the video to play again. At least it's quiet...

Comment by hulu-er — Dec 4, 2012, 12:51:20 AM | # - re

• chrome is not supporing I guess thats why its happening!!

Thanks!

Comment by online schools — Dec 19, 2012, 11:25:00 AM | # - re

• Yay! It worked! Thanks. Silence is better than those ads. Happy New Year!

Comment by Ginger — Jan 1, 2013, 1:16:02 AM | # - re

• this seems to be a tutorial for disabling blocking ads, no ads are actually blocked with or without this change. Am i suppose to be able to block the ads on the website? I might be experiencing problems others are not.

Comment by Brady — Jan 21, 2013, 2:57:16 AM | # - re

• NVM, the fanboy list did not have the .flv extensions. it seems the list has these white listed. which was mentioned and i just didn't make the connection that a white list is different from a black list. I now understand what the countdown timer is and i think i would rather have something instead of nothing playing XD. thanks for the tutorial all the same.

anybody know how to block them?

Comment by Brady — Jan 21, 2013, 3:04:18 AM | # - re

• I have tried this with all four exception rules both checked and unchecked. I had high hopes because I was running Hulu as I was unchecking them, and the very next commercial break was blissful silence. Unfortunately, the following break was full on ads. I don't know what happened:/

Comment by HLB — Jan 30, 2013, 9:46:22 PM | # - re

• remove popup ads

Comment by sandy — Feb 12, 2013, 7:51:21 PM | # - re

• guys for chrome u can use AdBlock jst use this extension no need to change anything in filters...

Comment by Nitesh — Feb 19, 2013, 7:41:48 AM | # - re

• i have no idea of what this is or what it has done so i cannot comment

Comment by colin scarborough — Feb 23, 2013, 2:13:04 AM | # - re

• What about for Opera? I do not see a way to modify lists.

Comment by Max — Apr 10, 2013, 5:53:16 PM | # - re

• Unfortunately, you cannot disable individual filters in the Opera version.

Comment by MonztA — Apr 10, 2013, 6:18:14 PM | # - re

• It would be really nice if they released a separate easylist-without-whitelists and let us whitelist in sites on our own.

Comment by TJ — Apr 15, 2013, 1:35:02 AM | # - re

Comment by TJ — Apr 15, 2013, 1:35:03 AM | # - re

• Saves my precious bandwidth that my ISP does not like to share too much of!

Comment by mike — Apr 15, 2013, 3:32:34 PM | # - re

• Is there any way to do this on Safari? It has a filter list but it cannot go into detail in the lists.

Comment by Josh — May 2, 2013, 9:32:38 AM | # - re

• I don't think it is possible.

Comment by MonztA — May 2, 2013, 9:41:55 AM | # - re

• Why not release a separate list subscription without the hulu ads? This really sucks..

Comment by lemon — May 9, 2013, 12:14:08 PM | # - re

• SOLUTION for Chrome users:

-Download easylist.txt ('view easylist' from main page) and save it. -open it in a text editor and erase the two lines:

@@||hulu.com/published/*.flv
    @@||hulu.com/published/*.mp4

• Change the 'list name' at the top of the file to another name and change the expiration to '1000' days (or more)
    • Now you need to have a valid http address for this file. I use dropbox and with it you can right click on the file and 'copy public link' which gives you a valid URL.
    • Open adblock (or adblock plus) and remove the existing easylist subscription. Add a new subscription and give the new file URL. -Done (I guess you might need to do this again in a few months to get the most recent updates.. (or write a script to do this automatically every week...)

Comment by toronto — May 9, 2013, 12:47:12 PM | # - re

• Anyway to speed up 60 second countdown?

I am seriously thinking of stopping my hulu plus, I just paid for a year of subscriptions, its just not worth it. Hope somebody sues them especially those paid for hulu plus and still get the same old shit.

Comment by E — May 21, 2013, 1:19:27 PM | # - re

• so no way to skip the countdown?

Comment by F — Jun 16, 2013, 10:59:36 PM | # - re

• Thank you, worked great!

Now I just get the 30 sec countdown which is GREAT compared to the 100-200 sec ADS!

Comment by Mia — Jul 28, 2013, 4:00:37 AM | # - re

• I did exactly as above. The two @@ files for hulu are unchecked now. I still get all the same adds on the hulu site. So everything is exactly the same. What am I missing?

Comment by Aaron — Oct 2, 2013, 7:20:18 PM | # - re

• Oh. Also, I am on firefox.

Comment by Aaron — Oct 2, 2013, 7:39:19 PM | # - re

• I would like if it just muted the ads, that would be enough for me. Don't care if they run, just can't stand the irritating and loud audio.

Comment by Brian — Oct 8, 2013, 4:06:26 AM | # - re

• Hulu fixed this sadly. Now you can't watch videos without turning off the damn adblock

Comment by Mike — Dec 9, 2013, 9:14:09 PM | # - re

• I think you are right, Mike. The two @@ files for Hulu don't even show up on the list for me to uncheck. Maybe I'm missing something? Was I supposed to hit 'Enter' after typing hulu.com/published? Please help as I (and countless others, it seems) am about to go crazy playing their stupid games. I can't believe I pay to watch this crap. The worst is when they ask you which ad you would prefer to watch, which is like being asked to pick the rope you will be hanged with. I prefer NOT to watch ads at all!

Comment by Carol — Dec 31, 2013, 9:03:55 AM | # - re

• will this work on adblockplus for Internet Explorer?

Comment by E-TARD The LifeCaster — Jan 17, 2014, 12:21:18 AM | # - re

• The most recent update for Flash and the most recent update for Firefox seem to make it impossible to block any ads at all on hulu even using the fixes suggested here! So something has gone very wrong.

Comment by Njle — Jan 31, 2014, 5:08:40 PM | # - re

• Blank ads are still playing for the allotted time--not only 60 seconds but most last for 90 seconds or more and in groups of 4 ads per break.

Comment by E — Mar 21, 2014, 12:13:50 AM | # - re