EasyList

EasyPrivacy Tracking Protection List

written by Michael, on Feb 10, 2011, 5:00:00 PM.

EasyPrivacy is a comparatively recent subscription in the context of the EasyList project, but it is one that has garnered significant interest recently due to current privacy concerns, which this list of filters was written to address. Yet I had never suspected the possibility of repurposing the subscription not only for a different browser, but also for an entirely different filter processing engine.

However, this opportunity presented itself when Microsoft recently announced Tracking Protection Lists for Internet Explorer 9. After some discussion with Microsoft just over a month ago we found that we were able to automatically convert the majority of EasyPrivacy filters to a suitable form for Internet Explorer, and a script has therefore been uploaded to our host server to automate this process every ten minutes. This new subscription variant has been entitled EasyPrivacy Tracking Protection List or, in its abbreviated form, EasyPrivacy TPL, and may be installed from Microsoft's Tracking Protection List page.

Furthermore, the script that generates the EasyList subscriptions has been updated to include the conversion process from Adblock Plus to Tracking Protection List format and these changes have been committed to the repository, from where combineSubscriptions.py may be downloaded and used for the automatic conversion of other subscriptions.

I would therefore encourage anyone interested in using the subscription to install the release candidate version of Internet Explorer 9, a browser that appears to have been significantly improved since the last release, and install EasyPrivacy Tracking Protection List, which is now listed on the homepage. Any suggestions or false positives should be reported in the respective sections of the EasyList forums, which does not require registration in order to post.

Comments

• How do I go about installing this TPL?

Comment by Ted — Feb 10, 2011, 7:48:55 PM | # - re

• I was wondering the same thing. Then I found this site: ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/TrackingProtectionLists/Default.html -- on the right side you should see 'Add TPL' beside EasyList. For some reason, visiting the Microsoft site lets the list install...

Comment by Mid — Feb 10, 2011, 8:04:21 PM | # - re

• i've installed EsayList for IE 9 and it doesn't stop pubblicity like firefox and chrome, is there a way tho a have a list, similarly to the other two browser??

Comment by Mattia — Feb 11, 2011, 1:56:46 PM | # - re

• Mattia, the aim of EasyPrivacy TPL and Tracking Protection Lists in general is that they only block items which collect personal details. While all subscriptions in the repository, including EasyList, are automatically converted to Tracking Protection List format, the aim of the Internet Explorer feature is to only remove trackers, demonstrated by the fact that it lacks features that are typically used for the removal of adverts, such as distinction between item types and element hiding. We therefore only encourage the use of EasyPrivacy Tracking Protection List and do not intend to promote the addresses of the other subscriptions, although they may be found relatively easily due to the structure of the repository.

Mid, I have added the link to the selection of Tracking Protection Lists to my post. Thanks for locating the page for me.

Comment by Michael — Feb 11, 2011, 4:23:19 PM | # - re

• I have been a devoted Opera user, however I am recently trying Firefox only because of bejewled blitz on facebook, it's not Opera friendly for gifting coins to others. Anyways...I downloaded WebFace and ran my avg over it said it was safe, but as soon as clicked to open it, it had another exe file from MindSpark...it has taken away my yahoo toolbar from firefox and I'd like to know....will your program here protect me from something MindSpark may be trying to do? Your page started simple to read then I have gotten very confused....Is there a faq page?

Comment by Julia — Feb 12, 2011, 8:12:56 PM | # - re

• Adblock Plus is only able to able block adverts within the browser and has no control over other programs. Although we do not have a list of frequently asked questions, we do have a forum (forums.lanik.us/) in which you can request information without registering and we will do our best to assist.

Please bear in mind that we are probably not the best people to ask about malware issues, even so-called adware, and that advert-blocking software is no substitute for a fully functional anti-virus program.

Comment by Michael — Feb 12, 2011, 9:06:29 PM | # - re

• As I expected and was pretty sure, you list does the best job! ZDNet made some test and found only 41 things that aren't blocked! Very nice but do you found which 41 filters have to be added?

Also, how the list update itself? We've to delete and install newer from time to time? Thank you!

Comment by EuroSkeptiC — Feb 16, 2011, 2:15:09 PM | # - re

• Is it possible that the automatic script who transform easylist/easyprovacy from ABP form to IE9 form could be published?

Most Chinese users with Adblock plus-like extension installed use Chinalist (code.google.com/p/adblock-chinalist/)

This may help 100Million Chinese users away from AD & Privacy risks.

The 100Million is calculated using results from CNZZ(below), in which a 25% occupation of IE8(regardless 50% still useing IE6) is shown, and most of them would apprently install IE9 in the future. (data.cnzz.com/main.php?s=brow_detail)

Comment by kessa — Feb 18, 2011, 5:38:44 PM | # - re

• EuroSkeptiC, I believe that the subscription should automatically update itself once every five days. I think that the ZDNet article that you are referring to is www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/privacy-protection-and-ie9-who-can-you-trust/3014?pg=1, in which they only state that we whitelist some items in order to permit pages to function properly. The content protected by EasyPrivacy filters should never be blocked due to the problems that result if the items are not loaded.

kessa, the conversion function is present in our subscription generation script (https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/file/tip/generate_subscriptions.pl) and is dual licensed under the CC-BY-SA and the GPL.

Comment by Michael — Feb 18, 2011, 8:36:40 PM | # - re

• ...so how do I get this to work in IE8 ? I'd think to somehow import the TPL-file, but how ? The ADD TPL does not work for me: ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/TrackingProtectionLists/Default.html
    Is this only for IE9?
    Please advise, thanks.

Comment by Hans — Mar 1, 2011, 4:32:45 AM | # - re

• Yes, this is only for Internet Explorer 9.

Comment by Michael — Mar 1, 2011, 7:38:14 AM | # - re

• Honestly i dont see a difference. All ads are still vsible so this is definitelly nothint near to AdBlock Plus for Firefox

Comment by 6205 — Mar 19, 2011, 3:22:36 PM | # - re

• The ABP EasyList whitelists googlesyndication only for a specific site or circumstances, e.g.:

@@||pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?$image,domain=nedbank.co.za

However, the IE9 TPL translates these rules into blanket whitelists, e.g.:

+d pagead2.googlesyndication.com /pagead/imgad?

As a result, all such googlesyndication ads slip through. Can this be corrected?

Comment by ferencias — Apr 23, 2011, 6:58:46 PM | # - re

• ferencias, I have updated the generation script to prevent the inclusion of filters only for a limited number of domains (https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/cc8622bafffd). After Wladimir applies these changes to the server the issue should no longer be present.

Comment by Michael — Apr 25, 2011, 6:10:35 AM | # - re

• Thanks!

Comment by ferencias — Apr 25, 2011, 4:58:20 PM | # - re

• You need to make this list also available to AdBlock Plus user on FireFox and others so that we don't have to use IE to use your excellent list. Please make this happen for the other browser members our your discriminating the other members of the other web browsers!

Comment by Taylor — Apr 29, 2011, 10:06:05 PM | # - re

• EasyPrivacy TPL is automatically derived from EasyPrivacy, which is the original and more effective subscription of the two. EasyPrivacy may be installed from the extension preferences or from the link provided on the Adblock Plus subscriptions page (https://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions).

Comment by Michael — Apr 30, 2011, 5:59:20 AM | # - re

• I can't install esaylist on my pc , every time i try to install it i get errors . please help me

Comment by adam — Jan 5, 2012, 8:31:54 PM | # - re

Comment by ????? ??????? — Feb 16, 2012, 5:05:13 AM | # - re

• I just wants some like this Good post with presentation of great helpfull ideas.

Comment by web hosting user reviews — Apr 15, 2012, 9:32:22 PM | # - re

• I have been a faithful Opera user, but i'm recently attempting Firefox solely owing to bejewled blitz on facebook, it isn't Opera friendly for gifting coins to others. Anyways...I downloaded WebFace and ran my avg over it said it absolutely was safe, however as soon as clicked to open it, it had another exe file from MindSpark...it has alienated my yahoo toolbar from firefox and i might prefer to understand....will your program here defend me from one thing MindSpark could also be attempting to do? Your page started straightforward to browse then I actually have gotten terribly confused....Is there a faq page?

Comment by devid diya — Jun 6, 2012, 11:11:35 PM | # - re

• will your program here defend me from one thing MindSpark could also be attempting to do? Your page started straightforward to browse then I actually have gotten terribly confused....Is there a faq page?

Comment by bedbugs — Jun 6, 2012, 11:12:34 PM | # - re

• Adblock plus fans can download Simple adblock which is an adblocker for IE based on easylist.

Comment by Rob — May 22, 2013, 10:29:14 AM | # - re

• The linked Infoworld.com article "Tracking services monitor your every move" highlights Google Analytics, AddThis, ChartBeat, Gigya, Mixpanel, Clicky, KISSmetrics, Feedjit, Woopra, & GoSquared as tracking services that provide the data used to make "watering hole" attacks very effective. Does EasyPirvacy block all of these?

Comment by Risky tracking services — Oct 9, 2013, 3:44:20 PM | # - re